Ethics and Social Safety in Healthcare (Gerner, 12hr package 2022)
This course takes an honest and practical look at ethics and social safety, via the topic of breastfeeding in the United States.
The American Medical Association defines nine principles of Medical Ethics. Among them are:
- A physician shall be dedicated to providing competent medical care, with compassion and respect for human dignity and rights.
- A physician shall respect the law and also recognize a responsibility to seek changes in those requirements which are contrary to the best interests of the patient.
- A physician shall respect the rights of patients…
- A physician shall continue to study, apply, and advance scientific knowledge, maintain a commitment to medical education, make relevant information available to patients, colleagues, and the public, obtain consultation, and use the talents of other health professionals when indicated.
- A physician shall recognize a responsibility to participate in activities contributing to the improvement of the community and the betterment of public health.
- A physician shall, while caring for a patient, regard responsibility to the patient as paramount.
- A physician shall support access to medical care for all people.
This program addresses ethical principles of healthcare as viewed through the lens of race. There is documented disparity between health outcomes in the Black vs. non-black community. This is particularly visible in the areas of birth and breastfeeding. Dr. Gerner provides information about the origins of racism in the US and causative issues of inherent bias and privilege and how our healthcare system and individual chiropractic patients are influenced by these. Research studies and live interviews are presented to show how these factors lead to high rates of infant mortality, poor maternal health and generational disparity in the Black communities of all socioeconomic levels. Inclusive policies/procedures in the chiropractic office are addressed to improve care for all races and gender identities. Policies and procedures are explained using the AMA’s Nine Principles of Medical Ethics.
Please note that Ethics and Social Safety in Healthcare (Gerner, 12hr package 2022) is available through December 31, 2022. Be certain that you have completed all parts of the course package and downloaded or printed each certificate before December 31, 2022. Certificates will be available to you indefinitely and free of charge through ce.lifewest.edu as long as you have accessed them by the end of this year.
By the end of the course, the students will be
- Versed in the American Medical Association’s Nine Principles of Medical Ethics
- More aware of the existence and origins of racism and resulting trauma in social and medical settings
- More aware of inherent bias and unintended harm providers may be causing others
- Able to implement ethically appropriate policies and procedures in their offices to foster inclusion and to better care for their diverse patient base.
- Equipped with resources to gain further training and understanding in chiropractic ethics as related to various U.S. ethnic and religious communities
- Equipped to ethically grow with the needs of the healthcare system in the US with the increasing diversity in our country.
- American Medical Association’s nine principles of Medical Ethics
- Shared language around Race and Identity, Defining Race, Origins of Racism in Slavery and Economics,
- Privilege (used to harm and to help),
- Statistics of Race in US Healthcare system and Chiropractic (are we meeting the needs?),
- Ethics and Phases of Combatting Racism (practical steps) in the chiropractic office.
- Ethics and Implicit Bias in Healthcare,
- The Disparity of Birth and Breastfeeding in the Black Community, Statistics of Birth, Breastfeeding and general health outcomes for black infants and mothers,
- The Epigenetics of Trauma (generational),
- Inclusive policies/procedures in the chiropractic office, guided by the AMA’s Nine Principles of Medical Ethics.
- Ethical approaches to language, documentation/forms, exam, physical spaces
- How to Create a “safe space” in our offices,
- Resources for support and further education in ethics and healthcare.
Dr. Lynn Gerner, D.C., FICPA
Graduate: Life Chiropractic College West, 2004. Fellow, International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) and trained doula. Post Graduate faculty, Life Chiropractic College, West. Preferred Affiliate- Capital City Doula Collective, Sacramento, CA. Founding partner of The Good Life Collective, Davis, CA.
Dr. Gerner has been a Maternity and Pediatric Specialist in private practice for over 16 years with an additional focus on functional infant cranial work. She teaches other professionals to support breastfeeding across the USA and internationally. She is a wife, mother of 3 grown children, and lives in Northern CA with her husband and their 2 rescued dogs.
*The following State and Province boards do not require an application when a program is sponsored by a college accredited by the Council on Chiropractic Education (CCE): CO, CT, DE, DC, ID, IL, IA, MD, MA, MI, MT, NE, NH, NJ, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, VA, WA, WY, BC, NB, ON, QC. Life Chiropractic College West cannot guarantee that any session of this offering will be accepted by these licensing board(s). Life West urges licensees to familiarize themselves with the laws governing continuing education in the jurisdictions where they hold licensure.
Available Credit Hours
- 2.00 AB Chiropractic CollegeAlberta College of Chiropractors
- 2.00 AK Chiropractic BoardAlaska Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 AZ Chiropractic BoardArizona Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 CA Chiropractic Board, Category A EthicsCalifornia Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Category A Ethics
- 2.00 CO Chiropractic BoardColorado Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 CT Chiropractic BoardConnecticut Board of Chiropractic Examiner
- 2.00 DC Chiropractic BoardDistrict of Columbia Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 DE Chiropractic BoardDelaware Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 FL Chiropractic BoardFlorida Board of Chiropractic Medicine
- 2.00 HI Chiropractic BoardHawaii Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 IA Chiropractic BoardIowa Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 ID Chiropractic BoardIdaho Board of Chiropractic Physicians
- 2.00 IL Chiropractic BoardIllinois Medical Licensing Board
- 2.00 IN Chiropractic BoardIndiana Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 KS Healing Arts BoardKansas Board of Healing Arts
- 2.00 KY Chiropractic BoardKentucky Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 MA Chiropractic BoardMassachusetts Board of Registration of Chiropractors
- 2.00 MD Chiropractic BoardMaryland Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 ME Chiropractic BoardMaine Board of Chiropractic Licensure
- 2.00 MI Chiropractic BoardMichigan Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 MN Chiropractic BoardMinnesota Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 MT Chiropractic BoardMontana Board of Chiropractors
- 2.00 NC Chiropractic BoardNorth Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 ND Chiropractic BoardNorth Dakota Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 NE Chiropractic BoardNebraska Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 NH Chiropractic BoardNew Hampshire Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 NJ Chiropractic BoardNew Jersey Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 NM Chiropractic BoardNew Mexico Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 NV Chiropractic BoardNevada Chiropractic Physicians' Board
- 2.00 NY Chiropractic BoardNew York State Board for Chiropractic
- 2.00 OR Chiropractic BoardOregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 PACEFCLB Providers of Approved Continuing Education
- 2.00 PA Chiropractic BoardPennsylvania Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 PR Chiropractic BoardPuerto Rico Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 RI Chiropractic BoardRhode Island Board of Examiners in Chiropractic
- 2.00 SC Chiropractic BoardSouth Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 SD Chiropractic BoardSouth Dakota Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 TN Chiropractic AssocTennessee Chiropractic Association
- 2.00 UT Chiropractic BoardUtah Chiropractic Physicians Licensing Board
- 2.00 VA Board of MedicineVirginia Board of Medicine
- 2.00 VT Chiropractic BoardVermont Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 WA Chiropractic CommWashington Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission
- 2.00 WY Chiropractic BoardWyoming Board of Chiropractic Examiners