Active Release Techniques - Upper Extremity Level 1 (Leahy, Nov 2-3 & 23-24, 2019)
The ART Upper Extremity Course is designed to identify and effectively treat common issues such as carpal tunnel, tennis elbow and shoulder injuries. Although it also includes some spine issues where muscles overlap the two regions, protocols from the ART Spine Course may be necessary to help fully resolve the injury. Manual techniques are utilized to move the tissues and joints while under tension. The system allows for relative motion between the tissues and articulations. Evaluation and treatment occur simultaneously.
The course emphasizes the manipulation of the neuro-musculoskeletal system to diagnose and correct alterations in tissue texture, tension, movement and function.This 3.5-day course consists of 107 protocols including peripheral nerve entrapments. Registration for this course includes a personalized 440-page bound study manual and 1 instructional DVD. Please allow 3-6 business days for shipment.
24 general CE credits
Saturday, registration 7:30-8am; seminar 8am-5pm
Tuesday, 7:30-12:00pm (testing in 20 minute increments)
The cost is $2190 for DCs, $1390 for students, and $795 for recertification.
ART recommends registering between 4-6 weeks before the course to allow for adequate preparation time
- Upper 1 manual and DVD will be shipped upon receipt of payment
- Strong anatomy knowledge is required for success
- Providers will receive a credentialing exam as well as an anatomy primer to guide study upon registration; anatomy primer is reviewed by staff at course
What to Expect
- 80% hands-on, 20% lecture
- Casual and comfortable dress attire (may require removal of clothing for targeted areas)
- Please bring your portable chiropractic table
- Lunch break approximately one hour, near noon (at instructor discretion) as well as two 15-minute breaks (snacks will be provided)
By the end of the seminar, you will be better able to:
- Locate correct structures when asked, based on anatomical names (Knowledge)
- Select the appropriate protocol treatment for the structure identified as having an issue (Knowledge)
- Explain the patient movement required to shorten and lengthen the structure of interest (Comprehension)
- Restate the Law of Repetitive Motion and identifies implications for muscular skeletal disorders (Comprehension)
- Apply the learned contact, tension and motion of a protocol to a structure on an instructor who is imitating a patient (Application)
- Produce the full structural movement required to effectively resolve issues with muscle or tissues (Application)
- Correctly differentiate healthy versus unhealthy tissue based on biomechanical principles using palpation (Analysis)
- Compare the movement and feel of healthy versus unhealthy tissue to detect problems with muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves within the human anatomical system (Analysis)
- Give an example of a clinical presentation expected for an issue for a particular protocol structure (Synthesis)
- Develop an effective treatment plan for patients incorporating Active Release Techniques integrated with past training (Synthesis)
- Recommend correct protocol both for structure involved as well as location of unhealthy tissue within the structure (Evaluation)
- Provide peer-review critique to colleagues who are demonstrating protocol application (Evaluation)
Park by Student Entrance on Clawiter Road side of building, then look for signage directing you to the check-in area.
See Campus Map for details.
Dr. P. Michael Leahy started Active Release Techniques® over 30 years ago. ART® began when Dr. Leahy was working with elite athletes as a way to treat soft tissue disorders so they could get back to peak performance as quickly as possible.
Dr. Leahy studied engineering in the Air Force before becoming a chiropractor in 1984. As he watched athletes perform, and studied their movement he realized he could combine what he knew about engineering with his chiropractic knowledge of anatomy and biomechanics to treat their soft tissue disorders quickly and get them back in their competition.
In 1988 some of Dr. Leahy's chiropractor colleagues convinced him to hold a seminar to teach his method of treatment. The room they reserved for the event overflowed with doctors interested in learning this new technique, and afterward Dr. Leahy quickly began formalizing a training method for ART®.
Since then, the method has been patented and over 10,000 ART® providers have been trained. ART® has treated and transformed the lives of over 100 million people worldwide.
See below for a list of credits available for this seminar.
Life Chiropractic College West is accredited by the CCE and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
NOTE to DCs licensed in: CO, CT, DE, DC, ID, IL, IA, MD, MA, MI, MS, MT, NE, NJ, OH, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, VA, WA, WY. These states generally accept programs sponsored by a college that is accredited by the Council on Chiropractic Education (CCE). These states and provincial boards do not require an application from CCE colleges. While it is highly likely that credits will be accepted, Life Chiropractic College West cannot guarantee that any session of this offering will be accepted by these licensing board(s). Life West urges licensees to familiarize themselves with the laws governing continuing education in the jurisdictions where they hold licensure.
Available Credit Hours
- 24.00 AZ Chiropractic BoardArizona Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 24.00 CA Chiro Board, Category BCA Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Cat B
- 24.00 CO Chiropractic BoardColorado Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 24.00 CT Chiropractic BoardConnecticut Board of Chiropractic Examiner
- 24.00 DE Chiropractic BoardDelaware Board of Chiropractic
- 24.00 DC Chiropractic BoardDistrict of Columbia Board of Chiropractic
- 24.00 HI Chiropractic BoardHawaii Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 24.00 ID Chiropractic BoardIdaho Board of Chiropractic Physicians
- 24.00 IL Chiropractic BoardIllinois Medical Licensing Board
- 24.00 IN Chiropractic BoardIndiana Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 24.00 IA Chiropractic BoardIowa Board of Chiropractic
- 24.00 MD Chiropractic BoardMaryland Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 24.00 MA Chiropractic BoardMassachusetts Board of Registration of Chiropractors
- 24.00 MI Chiropractic BoardMichigan Board of Chiropractic
- 24.00 MS Chiropractic BoardMississippi Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 24.00 MT Chiropractic BoardMontana Board of Chiropractors
- 24.00 NE Chiropractic BoardNebraska Board of Chiropractic
- 24.00 NV Chiropractic BoardNevada Chiropractic Physicians' Board
- 24.00 NJ Chiropractic BoardNew Jersey Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 24.00 OH Chiropractic BoardOhio Chiropractic Board
- 24.00 OR Chiropractic BoardOregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 24.00 RI Chiropractic BoardRhode Island Board of Examiners in Chiropractic
- 24.00 SC Chiropractic BoardSouth Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 24.00 UT Chiropractic BoardUtah Chiropractic Physicians Licensing Board
- 24.00 VT Chiropractic BoardVermont Board of Chiropractic
- 24.00 VA Board of MedicineVirginia Board of Medicine
- 24.00 WA Chiropractic CommWashington Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission
- 24.00 WY Chiropractic BoardWyoming Board of Chiropractic Examiners
Register and pay with Active Release Techniques (ART)
by clicking the TAKE COURSE button, calling (888) 396-2727 or going directly to the ART Web Site.
The cost is $2190 for DCs, $1390 for students, and $795 for recertification.
Continuing education credits will be issued through Life Chiropractic College West approximately one week after the seminar.
Changes and Refunds
Every attempt is made to offer Life West CE programs as announced. However, Life West reserves the right to adjust program faculty, locations, dates, times and tuition to accommodate unanticipated occurrences and to cancel programs owing to insufficient enrollment, illness, or other factors. Life West will notify advance registrants of any cancellation or significant program changes. Life West is not responsible for any expenses incurred by registrants due to adjustments or cancellations.
See https://ce.lifewest.edu/about for our refund policy.