Ethics Top 10: Common Board Violations and How to Prevent Them (Coleman, online 2020)
Dr. Coleman, long time Life West faculty member and practicing chiropractor, shares his deep understanding of ethics and California chiropractic law. This two hour ethics seminar uncovers some common and some surprising pitfalls that can cost you time, money, and your reputation. Don’t let an innocent shortcut or a heartfelt assertion lead you into hot water. Understand the Top 10 Board violations and build safeguards for you and your patients.
You’ll learn about:
- Insurance fraud (whether you know it or not!)
- Sexual misconduct (where are the boundaries?)
- Excessive treatment (does your patient think so?)
- Crime, drugs, & alcohol (is your private life really private?)
- False Advertising (says who?)
- Scope of practice
- Patient records
- Payment for referrals (when is it ok?)
- Unlicensed practice
By the end of the seminar, you will be better able to:
- List the ten most common chiropractic Board violations
- Identify practice and procedures improvements to avoid Board violations
Online CE at Life West is simple and engaging.
- Check on the right of this screen or under the CREDITS tab to see if the seminar is approved for CE in your licensure state(s).
- You must be logged in to your Life West CE account in order to access the seminar. Click on the REGISTER tab to register and begin.
- The seminar consists of video, readings, and one or more quizzes. You do not need to complete the seminar in one sitting, and you may return to it at any point.
- Once in the seminar, follow the MENU of steps on the left side of the screen. Click through the steps to move through the program.
- When you have completed the evaluation, you can PRINT YOUR CERTIFICATE yourself, on the spot.
If you have questions or concerns along the way, contact Life West Postgraduate & Continuing Education at firstname.lastname@example.org or 510.780.4508 during our regular business hours 9am-5pm Mon-Fri. Please expect a response within 1-2 business days.
If you have specific questions for your instructor, you can email them at email@example.com. Please expect a response within 4 days.
- Ethical concepts that chiropractors are judged by
- Most common causes for legal actions taken against Chiropractors
- Limitations on using Laser therapy
- Record keeping/medical necessity
- Proper advertising
- Scope of practice
- Internet communications with your patients
- What unlicensed individuals can and cannot legally do in your office
Dr. Wayne Coleman is a graduate of Palmer College of Chiropractic West and has been practicing in Pleasanton since 1988. He is a part time faculty member at Life Chiropractic College West and teaches Ethics and Jurisprudence to the senior classes at the college.
See below for a list of credits that may be available for this seminar.
Life Chiropractic College West is accredited by the CCE and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
*The following State and Province boards do not require an application when a program is sponsored by a college accredited by the Council on Chiropractic Education (CCE): CO, CT, DE, DC, ID, IL, IA, MD, MA, MI, MT, NE, NJ, OH, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, VA, WA, WY. Life Chiropractic College West cannot guarantee that any session of this offering will be accepted by these licensing board(s). Life West urges licensees to familiarize themselves with the laws governing continuing education in the jurisdictions where they hold licensure.
Available Credit Hours
- 2.00 AB Chiropractic CollegeAlberta College of Chiropractors
- 2.00 AK Chiropractic BoardAlaska Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 CA Chiropractic Board, Category A EthicsCalifornia Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Category A Ethics
- 2.00 CO Chiropractic BoardColorado Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 CT Chiropractic BoardConnecticut Board of Chiropractic Examiner
- 2.00 DC Chiropractic BoardDistrict of Columbia Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 DE Chiropractic BoardDelaware Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 IA Chiropractic BoardIowa Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 ID Chiropractic BoardIdaho Board of Chiropractic Physicians
- 2.00 IL Chiropractic BoardIllinois Medical Licensing Board
- 2.00 KS Healing Arts BoardKansas Board of Healing Arts
- 2.00 MA Chiropractic BoardMassachusetts Board of Registration of Chiropractors
- 2.00 MD Chiropractic BoardMaryland Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 ME Chiropractic BoardMaine Board of Chiropractic Licensure
- 2.00 MI Chiropractic BoardMichigan Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 MN Chiropractic BoardMinnesota Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 MT Chiropractic BoardMontana Board of Chiropractors
- 2.00 NC Chiropractic BoardNorth Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 ND Chiropractic BoardNorth Dakota Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 NE Chiropractic BoardNebraska Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 NJ Chiropractic BoardNew Jersey Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 NM Chiropractic BoardNew Mexico Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 NV Chiropractic BoardNevada Chiropractic Physicians' Board
- 2.00 OR Chiropractic BoardOregon Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 PACEFCLB Providers of Approved Continuing Education
- 2.00 RI Chiropractic BoardRhode Island Board of Examiners in Chiropractic
- 2.00 SC Chiropractic BoardSouth Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 SD Chiropractic BoardSouth Dakota Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 TN Chiropractic BoardTennessee Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 2.00 UT Chiropractic BoardUtah Chiropractic Physicians Licensing Board
- 2.00 VA Board of MedicineVirginia Board of Medicine
- 2.00 VT Chiropractic BoardVermont Board of Chiropractic
- 2.00 WA Chiropractic CommWashington Chiropractic Quality Assurance Commission
- 2.00 WY Chiropractic BoardWyoming Board of Chiropractic Examiners
RETURNING LEARNERS: Seminars purchased before 2020 must be accessed through the My Account menu at top of screen.
Computer, tablet, or phone with sufficient audio volume, and a strong Internet connection are required.
Help is available during business hours at firstname.lastname@example.org or 510.780.4508.