Ethics, Law, and Preventing HIPAA Audits in a Social Media World (Massa, Apr 28)
Dr. Massa is the Compliance Officer for the Life West Health Center. Additionally she is a Life West faculty member and practicing chiropractor. She’ll guide you through the latest laws, policies, and procedures so that your practice will be compliant and up to date.
By the end of the seminar, you will be better able to:
- Be familiar with California Ethics and Laws as they pertain to the practice of chiropractic and best practices for documentation, scope of practice and mandated reporting,
- Exercise proper judgement regarding ethical considerations in the doctor-patient relationship,
- Differentiate appropriate conduct as it relates to marketing, advertising and referrals,
- Describe HIPAA federal laws and those specific to the state of California and best practices for documenting and record keeping of all HIPAA related paperwork,
- Keep the required logs and records that must be maintained for a clinical chiropractic office including release forms; locate templates and samples for immediate utilization, and
- Understand the significance sanctions imposed to HIPAA violations.
- Review of California Chiropractic Ethics & Laws as stated in the Rules and Regulations of the California Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- In depth study of Doctor’s Duties
- In depth study of Ethical Conduct
- Review of HIPAA law & regulations according to California State law
- A thorough understanding of the Privacy Rule & Security Rule
- Accessibility, Regulations and best practices as it relates to HIPAA laws.
- Provide a comprehensive understanding of what is required of the private chiropractic practice in order to be HIPAA compliant
Park by Student Entrance on Clawiter Road side of building, then look for signage directing you to the check-in area.
See Campus Map for details.
Dr. Massa is the Compliance Officer for the Life West Health Center. Additionally she is a Life West faculty member and practicing chiropractor.
See below for a list of credits available for this seminar.
Life Chiropractic College West is accredited by the CCE and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
NOTE to DCs licensed in: CO, CT, DE, DC, ID, IL, IA, MD, MA, MI, MS, MT, NE, OH, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, VA, WA, WY, BC, NB, ON, QC. These states generally accept programs sponsored by a college that is accredited by the Council on Chiropractic Education (CCE). These states and provincial boards do not require an application from CCE colleges. While it is higly likely that credits will be accepted, Life Chiropractic College West cannot guarantee that any session of this offering will be accepted by these licensing board(s). Life West urges licensees to familiarize themselves with the laws governing continuing education in the jurisdictions where they hold licensure.
Available Credit Hours
- 2.00 CA Chiropractic Board, Category A EthicsCalifornia Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Category A Ethics
Changes and Refunds
Every attempt is made to offer Life West CE programs as announced. However, Life West reserves the right to adjust program faculty, locations, dates, times and tuition to accommodate unanticipated occurrences and to cancel programs owing to insufficient enrollment, illness, or other factors. Life West will notify advance registrants of any cancellation or significant program changes. Life West is not responsible for any expenses incurred by registrants due to adjustments or cancellations.
Refunds for program registration are granted if requested in writing no later than one business day before program begins. If registrants cancel within one week of program start date, a $50 processing fee will be deducted from refunds.
Less than one business day before the program begins, registration is nonrefundable but a credit voucher may be issued. Vouchers must be requested within sixty days of the program. The credit voucher may be applied towards another Life West Postgraduate & Continuing Education program and must be redeemed within one year of the original scheduled program date or it will be forfeited. A $25 processing fee will be deducted from vouchers.