Know Thy Enemy: The Impact of Pharmaceuticals on the Nervous System (McBride, online)
When it comes to medications, it pays to know your enemy. This one hour seminar demonstrates how balancing the nervous system can be made more difficult when certain medications are being taken by your patients. Without an understanding of medication impact, patients may fail to improve despite your best efforts. Improve your patient care by understanding which classes of medications are most likely to impact the care you provide.
About this Online Seminar
Online CE at Life West is simple and engaging.
- Check on the right of this screen or under the CREDITS tab to see if the seminar is approved for CE in your licensure state(s).
- You must be logged in to your Life West CE account in order to access the seminar. Click on the REGISTER tab to register and begin.
- The seminar consists of video, readings, and one or more quizzes. You need not complete the seminar, including the course video, in one sitting, and you may return to it at any point.
- Once in the seminar, follow the MENU of steps on the left side of the screen. Click through the steps to move through the program.
- When you have completed the evaluation, you can PRINT YOUR CERTIFICATE yourself, on the spot.
Any questions? Call us at (510) 780-4508 or email email@example.com.
By the end of the seminar, you will be better able to:
Understand the significance of heart rate variability (HRV) and how common medications can influence the results;
Understand the pharmacodynamics of common medications that impact the nervous system including adrenergic and cholinergic receptors;
Categorize medications according to their impact on the sympathetic vs the parasympathetic arms of the autonomic nervous system; and
Appreciate how a single drug can create systemic side effects.
By the end of this one-hour seminar, participants will be able to:
- Understand the significance of heart rate variability (HRV) and how common medications can influence the results;
- Understand the pharmacodynamics of common medications that impact the nervous system including adrenergic and cholinergic receptors;
- Categorize medications according to their impact on the sympathetic vs the parasympathetic arms of the autonomic nervous system; and
- Appreciate how a single drug can create systemic side effects.
PAMELA BAILEY MCBRIDE, MD
Dr. Pamela McBride is professor of anatomy at Life Chiropractic College West.
Surgeon, professor, and science writer: Dr. McBride approaches each role anchored with the core beliefs that "human bridges are created through education" and that the sharing of one's knowledge in the service of improving the lives of those around us is one of the highest callings we can accept. No matter which hat she's wearing, her goal is unified: empowering people to be thoughtful decision makers through education."
Dr. McBride began her career as a surgeon providing acute care as well as cancer therapy. Following nearly two decades in surgical practice she set her sights on higher education and now serves as a professor at Life West Chiropractic College. At Life West she enjoys sharing her knowledge and appreciation for the anatomical and nutritional sciences. Her special academic interests include heart rate variability (HRV) monitoring and how it is impacted by medications, diet, exercise, stress, and other lifestyle factors. "Living with Health & Longevity in Mind" is the theme of her upcoming book to be released in 2019.
When she isn’t working, you’ll find her reading on the beach, shooting a few at the archery range, or stretching it out in the yoga studio; sometimes, all three on the same day.
See below for a list of credits available for this seminar.
Life Chiropractic College West is accredited by the CCE and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
NOTE to DCs licensed in: CO, CT, DE, DC, ID, IL, IA, MD, MA, MI, MT, NE, OH, OR, RI, SC, UT, VT, VA, WA, WY, BC, NB, ON, QC. These states generally accept programs sponsored by a college that is accredited by the Council on Chiropractic Education (CCE). These states and provincial boards do not require an application from CCE colleges. While it is higly likely that credits will be accepted, Life Chiropractic College West cannot guarantee that any session of this offering will be accepted by these licensing board(s). Life West urges licensees to familiarize themselves with the laws governing continuing education in the jurisdictions where they hold licensure.
Available Credit Hours
- 1.00 AK Chiropractic BoardAlaska Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 1.00 CA Chiro Board, Category BCA Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Cat B
- 1.00 CO Chiropractic BoardColorado Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 1.00 CT Chiropractic BoardConnecticut Board of Chiropractic Examiner
- 1.00 DE Chiropractic BoardDelaware Board of Chiropractic
- 1.00 DC Chiropractic BoardDistrict of Columbia Board of Chiropractic
- 1.00 ID Chiropractic BoardIdaho Board of Chiropractic Physicians
- 1.00 IL Chiropractic BoardIllinois Medical Licensing Board
- 1.00 IA Chiropractic BoardIowa Board of Chiropractic
- 1.00 KS Healing Arts BoardKansas Board of Healing Arts
- 1.00 MD Chiropractic BoardMaryland Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 1.00 MA Chiropractic BoardMassachusetts Board of Registration of Chiropractors
- 1.00 MI Chiropractic BoardMichigan Board of Chiropractic
- 1.00 ND Chiropractic BoardNorth Dakota Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 1.00 RI Chiropractic BoardRhode Island Board of Examiners in Chiropractic
- 1.00 SC Chiropractic BoardSouth Carolina Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 1.00 SD Chiropractic BoardSouth Dakota Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 1.00 UT Chiropractic BoardUtah Chiropractic Physicians Licensing Board
- 1.00 WY Chiropractic BoardWyoming Board of Chiropractic Examiners
- 1.00 BC Chiropractic CollegeBritish Columbia College of Chiropractors
- 1.00 NB Chiropractic AssocNew Brunswick Chiropractors' Association
- 1.00 ON Chiropractic CollegeOntario College of Chiropractors
- 1.00 QC Chiropractic OrdreQuebec Ordre Des Chiropracticiens
Changes and Refunds
Every attempt is made to offer Life West CE programs as announced. However, Life West reserves the right to adjust program faculty, locations, dates, times and tuition to accommodate unanticipated occurrences and to cancel programs owing to insufficient enrollment, illness, or other factors. Life West will notify advance registrants of any cancellation or significant program changes. Life West is not responsible for any expenses incurred by registrants due to adjustments or cancellations.
Refunds for program registration are granted if requested in writing no later than one business day before program begins. If registrants cancel within one week of program start date, a $50 processing fee will be deducted from refunds.
Less than one business day before the program begins, registration is nonrefundable but a credit voucher may be issued. Vouchers must be requested within sixty days of the program. The credit voucher may be applied towards another Life West Postgraduate & Continuing Education program and must be redeemed within one year of the original scheduled program date or it will be forfeited. A $25 processing fee will be deducted from vouchers.